Monday 16 March 2015

General goings on of Lucy Land

Mothers Day with the family
First things first, over the weekend I celebrated Mother's Day with my one and only, and my brother and I cooked a roast as she does for us most Sundays. It made me realise how much I appreciate her, and how much she does for us. Since moving to university, I have noticed little things i do that i have acquired from her. Some girls hate the thought of turning into their mum, but their are certain traits that I'm glad my mum has passed on to me.

Deadlines Deadlines Deadlines
Back to university today though, and it has hit me like a tonne of bricks that there are just 2 teaching weeks left of this year in university....where the hell has the time gone? It's scaring me a little bit though because it's just a reminder of my looming deadlines. Essays, prose pieces, poetry, reflective journals- you name it I have to do it. There is nothing more stressful than realising that everything I write in the next month or so is going to determine my end of year grade. Having said that, I am in a much better place than this time last year, as TimeHop reminds me, with the year long battle that was my A-Levels. It makes me realise that all the hard work and effort pays off in the end.

Writers Block
I accepted a long time ago the fact that writers block will always creep up on me for the rest of my life. I know that it is entirely psychological, and I work myself up to believe that I can't write anything worth publishing, or even handing in as a draft. The thought of my tutor reading my work amongst other people's makes me think she's just going to laugh about how amateur it is compared to everyone else's. But sometimes all i need to do is go and have a cup of tea, come back and start afresh. This battle with self doubt and realistic approaches is something that every writer entails, and I'm going to have to find ways to overcome the battle if i have any chance of meeting deadlines. I think my main problem is that I know that I am a good writer, and when that doesn't always come across in my work i get frustrated, and worry that I've 'lost my spark' so to speak. My whole degree is counting on me producing a half decent piece of work, and the pressure can sometimes be a little too much to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment